Wednesday 14 July 2010

Architecting Development Environments

No blogs for some time - I much prefer "micro blogs" and therefore use Twitter (http://twitter.com/petereeles) more often than Blogger. Anyhow, whenever something significant comes up I'll post here.

I've spent a considerable amount of time over the last few years focusing on a particular domain - development environments. I first described my thoughts in this paper. That work is undergoing a serious "refresh" and I'll be reporting back as collateral is created. The first item to be refined (based on lessons learned since that paper was written) is the definition of a development environment. The major elements have stayed the same (context, method, tools, enablement, organization, infrastructure and adoption), but my team and I have been teasing apart the different considerations when either defining, deploying or managing a development environment.

It's really interesting work and will underpin (for example) an architecture description standard for development environments (with relevant viewpoints defined) and a maturity model for development environments that extends CMMI. Watch this space!

Glad to see that the WICSA 2011 call for papers is now open.

No comments:

Post a Comment